Tuesday 20 April 2021

Earth Day 22nd April Looking at alternative energy and finite resources

With #EarthDay2021 a couple of days away, I have been looking at renewable energy and the finite resources the Earth has left with some of my students.


In the science syllabus there are chapters on the Earths finite resources, but this doesn't seem to mean much to the students. Yea they understand that many of the metals are fast running out and won't be available in just a few years but the thought hasn't stuck home yet.

The students coming to my home are still surprised to see solar panels on the roof - are they any good, do they save any money.

Yes I do have cameras and computers on working from home but I am generating all my own electricity during the daytime.
I heat my water with solar thermal and make electricity using solar panels. My bills are lower

But it still doesn't mean anything to the students.

They all still need to have the latest phone and won't recycle the old one. They use more and more energy and although they worry about climate change it's up to someone else to do something.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Orbitals

GCSE Chemistry: Trying to work out how those electrons are arranged in the orbitals and if any pattern can be seen. Working from a periodic ...