One of my A level students yesterday had never seen convection currents in water, so I set up this simple experiment for him. Into a large beaker I poured some cold water and at the bottom I placed a small coloured crystal.
I heated the water with a burner and watch as the water heated, the water coloured by the crystal rose up in the beaker - not straight as the books suggest but in a more spiral direction until they reached the top when they spread out even more.
The water showed that it was less dense than the water around it because it was hotter and therefore it was lighter and rose to the surface - albeit not in a quite vertical direction.
There we are warm water rises and disperses the heat around the beaker from the bottom to the top.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Fourier's Extraordinary Idea — Making Complicated Waves From Simple Ones
Fourier's Extraordinary Idea — Making Complicated Waves From Simple Ones What does a violin have in common with a mobile phone signal?...
-
Physics GCSE: Electricity in the Home – What You Really Need to Know Electricity in the home is one of those GCSE Physics topics that feels...
-
Maths GCSE: Turning Recurring Decimals into Fractions (Without Panic) Recurring decimals look scary at first glance. Lots of dots, myster...
-
Momentum on an Air Track — Watching Conservation Laws Happen in Front of You There are some experiments in physics where the result is ma...
No comments:
Post a Comment